Hello,
I am planning to use some thin, long screws to put my enclosure together (with glue, of course). The Altec enclosure was originally secured with quite long brads, but I am assuming those were used because they are faster than screws. I have seen some threads that say 'don't use screws', but it is unclear why that is the case, or if it is a matter of preference or an old wives tale. In any case, I simply don't have enough long clamps to manage everything with out taking advantage of screws (or brads) - the holes are there, and it seems a solid approach.
Any reason why I should not use screws, or any precautions I should take when installing the screws?? I gather some are concerned with them 'backing out' over time. The material is vintage Altec plywood, and so it should be very stable (after 20 or 30 years)....
regards -- Roger




, as noted in customer reviews the bar flexes way too much for any serious clamping and even my much sturdier, ancient 36" Jorgensen 3736 bars have trouble dealing with warped Southern Pine, so use this type pipe clamp for > ~24", though contractor grade with 3/4" pipes up to 12+ ft long:

Bookmarks